Fire Danger is High this 4th of July!
Fireworks are illegal in certain areas of California because each year serious injuries and millions of dollars in property loss occur from wildfires sparked by fireworks. Large grass crops and abundant vegetation, due to a wet winter, increase the threat for devastating wildfires throughout all of California.
Check your local laws to find out if fireworks are illegal where you live, or if certain “Safe and Sane” fireworks are permitted.
Know the Law! California has zero tolerance for the sale and use of illegal fireworks. Illegal fireworks include:
• Sky rockets
• Bottle rockets
• Roman candles
• Aerial shells
• Other fireworks that explode, go into the air, or move on the ground in an uncontrollable manner
It is illegal to sell, transport, or use fireworks that do not carry the “Safe and Sane” seal, as well as possess or use any fireworks in a community where they are not permitted.
If convicted, a violator could be fined up to $50,000, as well as be sent to jail for up to one year.
There are nearly 300 California communities that allow “Safe and Sane” fireworks.
Check the list at
Parents are liable for any damage or injuries caused by their children using fireworks. View the California Law Summary at
Fireworks Safety Tips:
• Use only State Fire Marshal approved fireworks
• Local ordinances should be verified before purchasing and/or using fireworks
• Always read directions
• Always have an adult present
• Only use fireworks outdoors
• Never use near dry grass or other flammable materials
• Light one at a time
• Have a bucket of water and a hose nearby
Fireworks Injury Prevention Safety Tips:
• Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse
• Back up several feet immediately after lighting fireworks
• Never point or throw fireworks at another person
• Never experiment with fireworks
• Never attempt to re-light or “fix” fireworks
• Do not wear loose fitting clothing while lighting fireworks
• Never carry fireworks in your pockets
• Fireworks are not toys