In order to stay living safely at home, eligible older adults and disabled residents of all ages, can apply for support from paid in-home care providers. IHSS clients get help with day-to-day tasks that they cannot do themselves.
Once registered with IHSS clients find, employ and supervise their own caregivers with the support of the IHSS Public Authority (IHSS PA). IHSS PA also offers IHSS clients a registry of screened care providers to choose from.
Who is Eligible for IHSS Care?
Legal California residents, including older adults and children, youth or adults with disabilities, who:
1. live in their own house or rent,
2. need help from a caregiver to remain at home safely and independently,
3. is receiving Medi-Cal and
4. submit a completed Health Care Certification form.
Find more eligibility information by calling IHSS, or visiting the California Department of Social Services website.
How to Apply for IHSS
Anyone can call to refer an eligible Sonoma County resident for in-home care. Clients may call for themselves, or referrals can come from a neighbor, family member, medical or hospital professional or a community organization.
Call IHSS at (707) 565-5900 to refer or apply.
After a Client is Referred
Completing the steps takes about 30 days. IHSS determines the client’s eligibility, then, an IHSS social worker makes a home visit to assess the services and the number of hours of care the client needs. Services are based on the client’s medical condition or disability, plus his or her level of ability.
The client’s home situation is reviewed annually or when changes affect the person’s need for services.
Services Clients May Receive
Approved IHSS clients may get help for daily tasks, such as:
- Domestic Services – sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, dusting and picking up
- Related Domestic Services – meal preparation, meal clean-up, laundry and shopping
- Personal Care – bathing, grooming, bowel and bladder care, feeding, dressing, respiration, ambulation and care and assistance with prosthetics
- Accompaniment – help getting to medical appointments
- Protective Supervision – behavior monitoring due to chronic cognitive impairment
- Paramedical – certain types of care recommended by a physician
Find and Hire a Care Provider
Care providers are employed by the IHSS client. Clients must find, hire and supervise their care provider.