SonomaWORKS Provides Aid for Families with Children (Aired: July 30, 2019)


County of Sonoma

Ongoing Program

SonomaWORKS provides temporary help for families with children who have little or no money. We also help adults caring for a child prepare for a job, then find and keep a job, so they can support their families.

Support while on the program may include housing, food, utilities payments, childcare or medical care. Monthly cash benefits are added to an ATM-style plastic card, called an Electronic Benefit Transfer or EBT card, which you can use to make purchases.

SonomaWORKS is a Sonoma County program that is also known as CalWORKS in California and Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF) by the federal government.

Who Is Eligible:
• An adult caring for a child under age 18, OR under age 19 if the child is in high school or vocational school.
• One or both of the child’s parents must be unemployed, disabled, continuously absent or deceased.
• You must meet income and resource limits.

You may also qualify if you are:
• pregnant in your second trimester
• a mother under age 18
• a relative caring for a child.

How SonomaWORKS May Help:
Going through the program builds your skills toward getting and keeping a job, so that you can support your family into the future. 

During your program, SonomaWORKS staff may:Assess you for types of jobs you might doHelp you make a plan to get work and increase your job skillsSupport you in training for various jobs, including taking classes at Santa Rosa Junior CollegeHelp you manage your cash aid, CalFresh benefits and Medi-Cal benefitsProvide childcare while you are completing the programHelp you get such services as: mental health services, alcohol or other drug services, legal help, learning disability support and/or support for those affected by domestic violence.

Find more information

2227 Capricorn Way
Suite  100
Santa Rosa, CA 95407
(707) 565-5500

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *